VFR Over the Top Rating
|Training / Materials||Duration||Total Cost|
|Instrument (in addition to 5 hr requirement on the Private Licence & Night Rating)||5 hours @ $235/hr||$1175|
- To fly with visual reference to a layer of cloud instead of the earth’s surface. This type of VFR flying requires advanced training in instrument flying and radio navigation skills.
- Must hold a private pilot licence
- A pilot who holds a commercial licence of instrument rating automatically receives VFR OTT privileges.
- A minimum of 15 hours of instrument training. Instrument hours form the Private pilot licence and Night Rating may be included. 5 hours can be done on the simulator.
- Ground training consists of a knowledge and understanding of all pertinent air regulations, airspace, weather, instrument flying techniques, and the use of radio aids. ADF, VOR, and GPS will be covered.
- Although there is no practical or written test, candidates must meet the skill requirements.